• Gentamicin sulfate, USP packaged and labeled.

click on thumbnail to zoom
SKU: G006

Size  
Quantity:
  Click 'Bulk Order' for 10 or more
Price: make selection(s)
Description

Gentamicin sulfate is an aminoglycoside antibiotic composed of several different gentamicin components. The main components of gentamicin include members of the gentamicin C complex: gentamicin C1, gentamicin C1a, and gentamicin C2 which compose approximately 80% of gentamicin and demonstrate the highest antibacterial activity. Gentamicin A, B, X, and a few others make up the remaining 20% of gentamicin and have lower antibiotic activity than the gentamicin C complex. Gentamicin is slightly soluble in aqueous solution (~12.6 mg/mL).

For more gentamicin products, click here.

    CAS Number

    1405-41-0

    Mechanism of Action

    Aminoglycosides target the 30S ribosomal subunit resulting in an inability to read mRNA ultimately producing a faulty or nonexistent protein.

    Storage Conditions

    2-8°C

    Tariff Code

    2941.90.1010

    Spectrum

    Gentamicin is a broad spectrum antibiotic targeting a wide range of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. Interestingly, gentamicin has been found to be effective against certain β-lactam sensitive VRE or vancomycin resistant Enterococcus; a glycopeptide antibiotic resistant "superbug."

Applications

    Eukaryotic Cell Culture Applications

    Gentamicin sulfate can be added to cell culture media to prevent contamination by Gram-positive and/or Gram-negative bacteria for maintaining continuous cell lines or when propagating primary cell lines.

    Microbiology Applications

    Gentamicin sulfate is commonly used as a selective agent to select for cells containing the gentamicin resistance gene, aacj-AaphD or aacC1. Gentamicin sulfate is generall used at a concentration of 10 - 20 µg/mL.

     

    Media Supplements

    Gentamicin can be used as a selective agent in several types of isolation media:

    Columbia Blood Agar - Gardnerella vaginalis Selective Supplement

    VRE Medium - VRE Selective Supplement

    Burkholderia cepacia Agar Base - Burkholderia cepacia Selective Supplement

Specifications

    Form

    Powder

    Appearance

    White or almost white powder

    Source

    Micromonospora spp.

    Impurity Profile

    Gentamicin C1: 25.0 -50.0%
    Gentamicin C1a: 10.0 - 35.0%
    Gentamicin C2a + C2: 25.0 - 55.0%

    Water Content (Karl Fisher)

    Loss on drying: <18.0%

    pH

    3.5 - 5.5

    Optical Rotation

    +107° - +121°

    Assay

    (on the dry basis): >590 µg/mL

    Loss on Drying

    Not more than 18.0%

    Residue On Ignition

    Not more than 1.0%

    Residual Solvents

    Methanol: Not more than 1.0%

    Endotoxin

    Not more than 0.71 EU/mg

References

    References

    Davis, Bernard D. "Mechanism of Bactericidal Action of Aminoglycosides." References Microbiological Reviews 51.3 (1987): 341-50.

    Sarna, Katarzyna, and Agata Blazewicz. "Determination of Gentamicin Sulphate Composition and Related Substances in Pharmaceutical Preparations by LC with Charged Aerosol Detection." PubMed (2010)

    Vydrin, A. F. "Component Composition of Gentamicin Sulfate Preparations." Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal 37.8 (2003): 448-49. Web. 15 Oct. 2013.

Other Items In This Category